Achari Baingan (Slow Cooked)
Achari Baingan (Tangy eggplant simmered in tomatoes and pickle spices)
Here is a tangy dish that gets its flavor as well as name from traditional Indian pickle spices. There are several variations to make it, some are more laborious than other and some are more richer than needed. I went with a very simple recipe and slow cooked them to perfection. The slow cooking intensify the flavors and simple ingredients keep it light and low calorie. I tried this recipe with small eggplants and it came out very well. Next time I think I will add some potatoes also.
6-7 small eggplants (Baingan)
2 medium tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato sauce/puree
5-6 cloves garlic
A small piece ginger, grated
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1 tsp mango powder
2-3 green chilies of your choice, coarsely sliced (I used jalapeno peppers)
2 tbsp oil
pinch of Asafoetida powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp nigella seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1. Wash and cut eggplants in wedges. Put them in a colander and sprinkle some salt and let it stand for few minutes.
2. Put all ingredients (except for tempering and coriander leaves) in a slow cooker (I used 6 qt).
2. Heat oil, add Asafoetida powder and all types of seeds mentioned in the tempering ingredients and let them splutter (a minute or so)
3. Add tempering to the eggplant mixture in the slow cooker
4. Cook on low for 5 hours.
5. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot with Roti or rice.
You can easily double the recipe. You may need to adjust cooking time according to your slow cooker or crockpot as well as recipe size.
- Hearty Chicken Curry (Slow Cooker Recipe)
- Punjabi Chole (Chickpeas Curry)
- Ma Chole ki Dal (Slow Cooked Split Black lentils and Split Bengal Gram Curry)
- Sukhi Urad Dal (Slow Cooked tempered dry lentils)
- Basil Pesto and Tomato Sandwich
- Methi Malai Paneer
- Creamy Pesto Macaroni
- Brown Lentils and Collard Greens Soup
- Chana Biryani
- Mili-Juli Sabzi (Mixed Vegetable medley with chickpeas)